This festive vegan dish is a delicious winner for any winter meal occasion accompanied with roast vegetables or a fresh salad. Packed with seasonal vegetables and served with a tasty Garlic Tahini Sauce, you are guaranteed to delight your guests. Perfect for Christmas Day and New Year’s Day.
Serves: 4 special people
Time to Make: 60 minutes
Storage Instructions: Unlikely to have left overs !
Gluten-free Dairy-free Vegan
2 medium butternut squash, halved
1 red onion, small dice
2 garlic cloves, crushed
200g mushrooms, chopped small
200g roasted chestnuts, chopped small
A few springs of fresh thyme (or 1 tsp dried thyme)
1 tin green lentils (drained weight 240g)
100g Real Good Tomato Ketchup
Salt and pepper
5 tbsp tahini
2 lemon juice
3-4 tbsp water
1 small garlic clove, crushed
Serving suggestions: roasted potatoes, roast vegetables, extra fresh thyme
- Preheat the oven to 170Fan/190*C and place the butternut squash halves on a baking tray, cut side up. Score the topside with a criss-cross pattern and rub all over with some olive oil and salt. Roast for 40-60 minutes until really tender and starting to crisp. Once out of the oven, scoop out the seeds and discard.
- Meanwhile, heat some olive oil in a large frying pan and add the red onion, garlic and mushrooms. Cook over a medium-high heat for 10 minutes until soft. Now pick off the fresh thyme leaves and add to the pan with some salt and pepper.
- Stir in the chopped chestnuts, drained lentils and the Real Good Tomato Ketchup. Allow to warm through for 10 minutes over a gentle heat. Add a splash of water if needed.
- As it cooks, make the garlicky tahini by stirring together all the ingredients until smooth, adding more water as needed for a pourable consistency. Season with salt and pepper.
- To serve, stuff the butternut squash cavities with the lentil mixture and top with the garlicky tahini.
Created by Nourishing Amy with Real Good Ketchup